Detox Your Body with Juniper Berry!
The branches and berries of the Juniper, a coniferous tree, have been used for medicinal and spiritual purposes since ancient times. Several references to the juniper tree were included in the - I really don’t want to bore you with old passages.
So, let’s dig right in and learn about this coniferous evergreen shrub.
What exactly is Juniper Berry Essential Oil?
The essential oil of juniper is obtained through steam distillation of the needles, wood and powdered fruits of juniperus, bearing the scientific name, Juniperus Communis. All of the aerial parts of the juniper bush can be distilled, however, the ripe berries are considered the most therapeutic part of the plant. It is used in many industries, as well as to flavor alcoholic beverages like gin.
Juniper is an evergreen shrub that is very common in Europe. The best oils are sourced from Bulgaria, their indigenous region, and take a full THREE years to ripen to maturity.
Juniper Oil has a distinctive aroma that is woody, sweet, fresh, and crisp. Smelling nice is great, don’t get me wrong, but there are far more to juniper and its essential oil in terms of impressive health benefits, and that is where our interest lies.
What exactly is Juniper Berry Essential Oil?
- Add 1–2 drops to water or citrus drinks as part of a natural cleansing regimen.
- Apply 1 drop to problematic skin areas to promote a clear, healthy complexion.
- Diffuse with citrus oils to freshen and purify the air and to lessen stress.
- For better rest, place 1-2 drops of juniper berry essential oil in the palm of your hand, rub your hands together, and inhale for up to 30 seconds or more several times a day, or in times of stress and tension. Also, consider diffusing in the workspace or home throughout the day.
- To relieve childhood fears, in a small non-plastic (metal or glass) spritz bottle, mix 4 drops of juniper essential oil to every ounce of water and use as a room and pillow spray. You can also apply a drop to the bottom of the feet or back fo the neck (avoid hands that might end up rubbing eyes).
Health Benefits of Juniper Berry Essential Oil
Juniper berry oil has anti-rheumatic, astringent, carminative, depurative, antiseptic, vulnerary and other beneficial properties that contribute to its health-promoting effects. This oh-so relaxing oil can help relieve mental and emotional issues, such as anxiety and mental fatigue.
You can use juniper berry oil topically to help relieve a wide range of skin and hair problems, such as eczema, weeping eczema, acne, psoriasis, hair loss, and dandruff. It also helps with fluid retention and can help prevent cellulite formation. Juniper berry oil is also an antiseptic that may help protect wounds from infection and tetanus.
Juniper berry oil may also help with improved blood circulation, which is essential in removing toxins like uric acid from the body.
It may also help control ailments that are related to improper circulation and toxin accumulation, such as gout, arthritis and renal calculi. Here are some other benefits of juniper berry oil:
- It works as a laxative and may help regulate menstrual cycle in women
- May protect you against digestive problems like stomach upsets, intestinal fermentation, and colitis
- It may help you experience relief from hemorrhoids. Simply add a diluted drop to your hot bath for 20 minutes (do not sit in the bath longer than this, as the effectiveness may be lessened).
- Because the smell of juniper can help you unwind and relieve muscle tension, try massaging some into your neck, chest, and feet prior to bedtime.
- Did you know that juniper berries are one of the key ingredients used to make gin?Yes, you do! I mentioned that earlier! Well, its taste is also added to other foods, including some drinks, bitters, sauces, marinades, and even Sauerkraut Recipes.
- As a natural antiseptic that can prevent or reduce bacterial strains from spreading within your home, use juniper berry oil on kitchen and bathroom surfaces or appliances.
- The scent of juniper berry naturally repels bugs. Spray it on your clothes, mix it with a carrier oil and massage into your skin, or diffuse it indoors and outdoors to purify the air and keep bites away.
Here are some recipes for you to use your Juniper Berry.
Having a tough day? Add these oils to your diffuser for a mood boost:
- 1 drop Frankincense
- 1 drop Juniper Berry
- 2 drops Eucalyptus
- 4 drops Grapefruit
Allergic? Add these oils to your diffuser for an allergy relief blend:
- 3 drops Bergamot
- 2 drops Lavender
- 2 drops Juniper Berry
- 1 drop Peppermint
Juniper berries can be taken by most adults safely for up to four weeks. It’s not recommended to use them longer than that since they might put strain on the kidneys or liver after some time.
Because essential oils can act as a powerful form of natural medicine, there are a few instances where they are not recommended for usage. You should avoid using juniper berry oil if you have existing kidney or liver disease. Keep juniper oil away from your eyes, ears or inside your nose as well.
It’s considered safe for children and even pets, but might not be the best choice if you’re pregnant. While in most cases juniper is completely healthy, it can possibly affect hormones so it’s not recommended at this stage. Also, speak with a doctor if you have very sensitive skin or are on hormonal medications that can interfere with essential oil use.
Juniper Berry essential oil is worth trying especially because of its wonderful benefits. Although it’s well-tolerated and unlikely to cause allergic reactions or side effects, it’s still important to always test for stomach and skin sensitivity prior to widespread use. As with any essential oil, especially one you’ve never tried before, excessive use can lead to sensitization and other effects if you ingest a high amount.